Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Being a Health and Physical Education teacher I can not help but be interested in the health and well being of individuals. With urban students growing up in environments with less parks/fields, smaller yards (if any), fewer workout facilities, etc... I am worried that they will get less of a physical workout throughout their lives. Growing up in a suburban town provided me with plenty of chances to go for a run, walk to a field and play a game of soccer/football with my friends, or go over to a friends house and run around in their backyard. On top of all of this I have to note that studies throughout American have shown that African Americans and Hispanics are at the highest risk of developing heart disease, and since urban areas have high African American and Hispanic populations I feel that these topics are directly related. With this in mind some topics that I would like to explore for my final project are as follows:

1. What are some of the health risks urban students face?

2. What are some ways urban students can change their daily habits to promote healthier lifestyles?

3. How does the opportunity to exercise differ in an urban environment than it does in a rural or suburban environment?

No comments:

Post a Comment